Sunday, October 7, 2012

Today after doing a quick pickle of beets I started processing about 5 -6 lbs of tomatoes. I decided to make a basic marinara. This can then be either canned and processed or cooled and then placed into freezer bags and frozen. 
I take the quick route and bag and freeze. I love having a freezer full of my own fresh made marinara to use in stews, casseroles, soups, on pizza or what ever you would use a jarred sauce for. 

BASIC TOMATO SAUCE-for when your garden explodes!!!

  •  1 large onion-diced
  • 6-8 cloves of garlic-pressed or minced
  • 2-3 tbsp Olive oil
  • 5-6 lbs of ripe tomatoes, cored, quartered and pulsed to mince in a food processor in batches. 
  • 1 cup of red wine (opt., I forgot to picture it too, I used a Shiraz)
  • 1 tbsp each of dry Basil and Oregano. 


Heat a very large steel or cast iron pot over medium heat, add olive oil  and onions, saute for 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir for 1-2 minutes. De-glaze with wine if using, otherwise start adding in the processed tomatoes.
Bring to a busy simmer, and cover slightly and simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Taste and add salt, about 2-4 tsp. Should be fairly sweet if your tomatoes are ripe, I found I had to add a tbsp of red wine vinegar. Add herbs and simmer 1-2 hrs more.
Use at this point, or allow to cool and freeze or ladle hot into hot jars and process according to your canners directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I relish your comments....