Comfort Food 101:
Tenderized Pork Cutlets simmered in a Rich Marsala Gravy Sauce
4-6 thin Pork loin steaks or about 1 1/2 lbs tenderized Pork cutlets.
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil
2 tbsp Butter
2-3 tbsp flour
1 1/2 cups of Beef or chicken broth
1/2 cup Marsala Wine or White Wine
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 cup sliced Mushrooms (opt.)
2-4 tbsp heavy cream, half and half or milk
- Season the steaks with salt, pepper and garlic powder, then saute in the oil/butter until just cooked. Set aside on a warm plate.
- Add the flour to the pan, stirring to brown 2-4 minutes.
- Add broth to the pan and stir until smooth.
- Add the Marsala or Wine, blending well. Add the onion and mushrooms if using, salt and pepper to taste, bring to a boil then simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the pork to the pan, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until Pork is fork tender.
- At this point stir in the cream or milk.
We’ve made these several times–sometimes with milk instead of cream to lighten up on the calories, sometimes without the mushrooms, depending on whether we remembered to get them at the grocery store. It’s always decadent and sweet and creamy and I like the sauce with pork much more than I have ever liked a marsala sauce with chicken.
Recipe and photo adapted from: Our Share of the Harvest