I know, I know I used the infamous term; Stoup.
This soup is so rich and full of flavor and body though, that it really falls into the category of a stoup. Which technically is thicker than a soup but thinner than a stew.
Anyway you look at it, or eat it, it is just DELISH!!
Cream Of Asparagus Soup
This stoup is not only an easy fast prep, it is extremely healthy and full of important nutrients like Vitamin B6, C and A, Iron, and full of fiber and protein.
I actually made this with wild Asparagus that I rinsed and froze in 1.5-2 lb. freezer bags whole this summer. Came out perfect!
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped, (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds asparagus, ends trimmed, thawed if frozen.
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 Half and Half or cream
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Lemon wedges, Opt.
- Heat Oil in a large dutch oven or saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion , potato, carrot and garlic, and saute 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add asparagus and saute another 4 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 30 minutes, until asparagus and vegetables are very tender.
- Turn off the heat and use a stick blender to thoroughly puree the soup. or alternatively carefully transfer to a blender/food processor and puree until smooth.
- Return to saucepan, stir in parmesan cheese and cream and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer to serving bowls sprinkle with croutons and serve with lemons.