You are going to fall in love with this simple recipe for making your own Enchilada Sauce. No more cans, packages or even soaking dried chilies (Sorry Grandma and all my Aunties).
This sauce has body, it has a little heat, but most of all it tastes like you just made an authentic Red Chile Sauce.
Cause, guess what......you did!!
And you did it all using a blender or food processor and a sauce pan. That's it!!!
We love it with Enchiladas, to simmer meat in (Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Meat anyone?), casseroles, Huevos Rancheros, Chilaquiles.......the list goes on and on.
This is a great recipe to have in your back-pocket if you love Mexican food. Your friends will be asking you for the recipe!!
- 2-3 cups chicken broth (Start with about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 clove garlic
- 1-2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or more to taste (optional)
- Combine and blend chicken broth, tomatoes, chili powder, flour, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, and cayenne pepper in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Pour into a medium sauce pan and heat over medium low 8-10 minutes or until thickened as desired. May be thinned by adding small amounts of water or chicken broth.
**This can be made Vegetarian by subbing Vegetable broth or just water. And it can easily be Gluten Free by using a Corn or Rice Flour.