One of our favorite dishes to use them in is a sausage and pepper saute, that can be served over rice, pasta, potatoes.....but our fav, fav way is to wrap it in a toasty sourdough roll and melt gooey cheese over the top!!
Come on, you know you want to make this....
- 1 pkg. of your favorite cooked Sausage, I used an Italian Chicken Sausage that we love.
- 2- Multi-colored Bell peppers, cored, and sliced in thin strips
- 1 onion, halved and sliced across thinly
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp Garlic powder or one clove pressed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, on medium -medium high heat, saute the onions and peppers in the oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the sausage that you have sliced into 1/4" slices, and the garlic. Mix to combine, saute for another 5-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in the tomato sauce and cover and cook another 10 minutes on medium low heat.
Meanwhile prepare your side, pasta, rice, potatoes or like us toasted buns. I preheat the oven to 400F and split open a sourdough loaf and spread a small amount of butter on each side and "toast them in the oven for about 10-12 minutes. then pile one side with the sausage and pepper mixture and cover with your favorite cheese ( I used Provolone), pop it back into the oven for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted and starting the bubble. Enjoy!!!
Yes....come to momma--