Well at least here in my little corner of the world, it is. We have 2-3 restaurants in town (does the local gas station and Casey's count?), and on Tuesday they always feature a Mexican dish or two.
Anticipating that I sorted, rinsed and put dry pinto beans in my slow cooker Monday night. Covered with water and left to sit until the morning.
Before I left for work that morning I added a tbsp of chile powder, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp garlic powder and 1 can of fire roasted tomatoes with green chili's and for good measure a whole jalapeno and a handful of diced onion. Stirred, covered and cooked on low for 8 hours.
Easy Peasy Ranch Beans.
When I got home that night, I planned on making one of my family's favorites. The Cheese-iest Enchiladas.
They are super simple, prep is quick and easy and they are done in a flash.
And they photograph beautifully. Who wouldn't want a bite of all that ooey, gooey cheesey-ness?
12 6-7" flour tortillas
4 cups shredded cheese, divided-I used sharp cheddar and colby/jack mixed
2 1/2 cups Enchilada sauce-2 sm cans or 1 large can (I make my own)
Optional Toppings-Olives, Avocados, Diced green onions, Tomatoes.....
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 2- 11 x 7 glass baking dishes or one large 11 x 15 baking dish with non-stick spray. Pour 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce into the bottom of each dish and swirl to coat.
- In a large bowl , place 3 cups of the cheese and set 1 cup aside. Pour 3/4 cup of enchilada sauce on the 3 cups of cheese and toss lightly to combine.
- Place a tortilla in front of you and put approx. 1/4 cup of cheese across the edge nearest you and roll up tightly. Place seam side down in a dish. Continue with the 11 other tortillas.
- Pour the remaining sauce evenly over each dish. Sprinkle with half of the remaining cheese.
- Bake for about 15 minutes and sprinkle with the other remaining cheese and place back in the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Remove and let rest for about 5-10 minutes, they serve easier then. Garnish as you desire. We like green onions and avocado. Enjoy!
and on The Country Cook Weekend Potluck #55
also on Tidy Mom I'm Lovin' It Party
AND...Make Ahead Meals For Busy Moms-Melt In Your Mouth Blog-Hop #105
Spicy Thursday@DC In Style
Mix it up Monday @ Flour Me with Love
Mealtime Monday @ Couponing and Cooking
My Sweet and Savory@Meatless Monday