Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Bolognese Sauce (Sunday Gravy)

On Sunday, if we're home and not running after our daughter's sports commitments, I like to make a really nice dinner.

Generally something I wouldn't make during the week, and that requires more thought and cooking time.

Stews, roasts, soups, and about once a month I make a big pot of "Sunday Gravy". In more general terms for those of you not of Italian descent, Spaghetti Sauce.

But this Sunday I leaned toward a tomato-ey Bolognese Sauce. Which means I made a meat sauce and also added in milk. There are probably a gazillion ways to make Spaghetti Sauce.

I typically use whatever I have on hand, mushrooms, carrots, onions, celery, garlic, peppers. And I mince these all in my food processor and them saute them in olive oil until they are softened.

So this time I took 3 Italian Turkey Sausages out of their casing and browned and crumbled it in a large heavy pot.

I then added all the minced vegetables and sauteed them.

Poured in a cup of red wine to de-glaze. 

Next I added two 28 oz. cans of whole tomatoes that I crushed with my hands-be careful they squirt everywhere sometimes.

Added 1 tsp of Oregano and Basil each and 2 bay leaves. Salt and pepper to taste.

Bring to a simmer and cover and cook for 1.5 hrs, stirring occasionally.

Add 1 cup of milk and cook on a low simmer with lid vented for another 30 minutes.

This is best served over a wide flat noodle, but feel free to use what pasta you like.




Ingredients:
  • 2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes with juice or crushed tomatoes
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 pound ground pork
  • 1/4 pound ground beef chuck (or use Italian sausage out of the casing like I did in place of the meat)
  • 1 onion, finely chopped 
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 carrot, finely chopped
  • 8 oz. mushrooms, finely chopped
  • 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
  • 1 cup dry red wine
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 pound flat pasta or short round like pappardelle, fettuccine, orecchiette or rotini.
Directions:
  1. Mince onions, carrots, garlic, mushrooms and pepper in a food processor until fine, set aside. 
  2. Break up tomatoes using your hands or a potato masher in a large bowl, set aside.
  3. In large, heavy pot over moderate heat, heat oil until hot but not smoking. 
  4. Add sausage or meat and sauté until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes.  
  5. Add vegetables and sauté until they are tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
  6. Stir in red wine and simmer, scraping up browned bits stuck to bottom of pan, until liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. 
  7. Stir in tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to moderately low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened and brick-red in color, approximately 1 hour, 30 minutes. 
  8. Add milk and simmer 20-30 minutes more, partially uncovered.
  9. In large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until almost tender. Drain well and toss with sauce. Serve with grated cheese.


This is shared with:
Trick or Treat Tuesday
Tuesday Talent Show
 Memories by the Mile
Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays @ Blessed with Grace
Tasty Tuesday Party @ Naptime Creations
Totally Tasty Tuesdays @ Mandy’s Recipe Box
Two Cup Tuesday @ Pint Sized Baker

11 comments:

  1. I love pasta and this one looks magnificent. Thank you for sharing with Simple Supper Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pasta recipe. We have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this and any other posts with everyone. It runs from Tuesday night through midnight Sunday. We also have a $50.00 Visa Gift Card Giveaway. Here is the link to the party.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/03/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-blog-hop_26.html
    We hope to see you there.
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Debi & Charly,
    I linked to your Blog Hop and added you to my Link List.
    Regards,
    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks really good! Thanks for linking up to Tasteful Tuesdays! love it! Really appreciate you stopping by my blog! I’m trying to keep in better touch with my linkers/readers… If you already follow me, please let me know I will find your blog on Bloglovin (I’m transferring my follows there)if you don’t follow in any way, would you consider following via GFC or other method?
    http://www.nap-timecreations.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily, I would love to follow you, please consider following me as well! ;)

      Delete
  5. Looks delicious! We love Italian food. I am pinning this so I can add it to our menu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy, it is really good. I used this on my Deep Dish Pizza as well. Plus, it freezes beautifully.

      Delete
  6. This looks amazing. I love Italian food! {I'm 1/2 Italian} I am so glad you shared it with us at Wicked Good Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love visiting Wicked Good Wednesdays and seeing what everyone has linked. Thank you Rachel!

      Delete
  7. I am currently working on an assignment and I have been exploring your blog for a few hours. Thank you for your post it proved helpful for me

    ReplyDelete

I relish your comments....