Monday, March 18, 2013

Minestrone Soup

Well dang. That's what we get living in North Iowa.

Today I was supposed to take my two girls to a semi-annual dental appointment.

Didn't happen...North Iowa weather did. School was canceled before 6am. Blizzard warnings. It snowed and the winds kicked up to 40mph. So....good thing I had already planned to take the whole day off.

Bonus!! I had already planned to sleep in and now the whole day we are pretty much house bound.

Perfect opportunity to make a BIG pot of soup.

Minestrone, here we come.

We all love it. I get to clean out my frig using all the veggies I have and we get a hot, hearty, delicious soup.

@Salted Nuts
Minestrone Soup
 




Ingredients:
  • 1 large Onion-diced
  • 2-3 carrots-diced
  • 2 stalks celery-diced
  • 3 cloves garlic-minced
  • 1 yellow pepper-diced
  • 1 red pepper-diced
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 8 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
  • 1 can tomato puree(I used my own-I froze from last summer)
  • 2-3 small potatoes-diced
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 can green beans-drained
  • 1 can kidney(red or white) beans-rinsed and drained
  • 2 cups pasta
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • Parmesan cheese
Directions:
  1. In a large stock pot, heat to medium 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil, pour in all the vegetables and stir and saute for 8-10 minutes until softened.       
  2. Add the tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce and simmer for 25-30 minutes. 
  3. Add in basil and oregano, potatoes and beans and simmer another 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are almost tender. . S
  4. Taste and add salt & pepper to taste. 
  5.  Either cook pasta separately and set aside or simmer in soup (it makes for a much heartier soup and really thickens it-that's how my family likes it).
  6. Otherwise, serve a portion of cooked pasta in a soup bowl and ladle the soup over it. Serve with Parmesan cheese grated on top and a good hearty bread like sourdough or french bread. 

@Salted Nuts
 YUM!!!
It's even better the next day! 
Plus, use whatever you have in your frig or freezer or even canned. I would loved to have used kale, but I had used it all up. If you have zucchini or squash, add it. Sweet potatoes-perfect!
I used a whole grain noodle and you could use a gluten free rice noodle as well. 
Are you vegetarian? Sub vegetable broth, add wine.
This recipe is so versatile, no wonder it began as a peasant food for the poor in early Italy. It enabled homes there to make a hearty, satisfying soup that sated everyone, even with the most meager ingredients.  
Your family is getting all kinds of good fiber, filling and nutrient rich vegetables and using a whole grain pasta just amps up the fiber and vitamins. 
This is a go to soup in our home and of course you can add meat if you choose, but it's totally unnecessary because you're getting all kinds of goodness from the veggies and beans. I sometimes add 2 cans of different beans also, like kidney and chick pea. This is so versatile and good and can be frozen to heat up at another time. 
A real go-to meal.      

This recipe is shared on:

All My Bloggy Friends @ Love Bakes Good Cakes
Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays @ Blessed with Grace
Tasty Tuesday Party @ Naptime Creations
Totally Tasty Tuesdays @ Mandy’s Recipe Box
Two Cup Tuesday @ Pint Sized Baker
Cast Party Wednesday @ Lady Behind the Curtain
What I Whipped Up Wednesday @ Sugar and Dots
Wicked Good Wednesday @ I Love My Disorganized Life
Whats Cooking Wednesday @ Buns in My Oven

Sccop Link Party@Crafty Texas Girls

What's In Your Kitchen Wednesday
Lil Luna Link Party
Back For Seconds Social
http://adiamondinthestuff.blogspot.com/

Taste and Tell Thursdays@Taste and Tell 
Frugal Food Thursday @ Frugal Follies

Showcase Your Talent Thursday
Somewhat Simple
Thursday's Treasures
Made U Look

Miz Helen's Country Cottage@Full Plate Thursday
http://www.somewhatsimple.com/ (Link Party Thursday)
http://www.aglimpseinsideblog.com/ (Catch a Glimpse Party)
http://www.livelaughrowe.com/ (Live Laugh Linky)
http://www.becomingmartha.com/ (Keep Calm & Link Up)
http://www.raisingmightyarrows.blogspot.com (Pro 31 Thursdays)

Hooking Up at HoH



Mix it up Monday @ Flour Me with Love
Mealtime Monday @ Couponing and Cooking
Melt in Your Mouth Monday @ Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms
My Meatless Mondays @ My Sweet and Savory

 Busy Monday
Recipe Sharing Monday
Made By You Monday
I Gotta Try That...
Mop It Up Monday
Open Call Social
Pink Hippo Party
 

12 comments:

  1. I love soups and this one looks delicious! And thank you very much for sharing you recipe on my blog!
    http://dcinstyle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you, I love seeing all the great posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This homemade soup sounds wonderful for these cold nights. Thanks for sharing these at Two Cup Tuesday at Pint Sized Baker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A hot bowl of your Minestrone Soup would sure be good today, it is so cold here.
    Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Minestrone soup looks great!!! We have snow here in Maryland too... so I could use a bowl of some hot soup today too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may be getting more too! Thanks so much Maria.

      Delete
  6. We got snow in Virginia as well, this will definitely make for a nice warm meal. Thanks for sharing! Stopping by from Skip to My Lou :)

    RamblingReed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Andrea for stopping by, have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious. Thank you for linking up at www.LittlestSweetPea.com

    ReplyDelete

I relish your comments....