Monday, March 18, 2013

Minestrone Soup

Well dang. That's what we get living in North Iowa.

Today I was supposed to take my two girls to a semi-annual dental appointment.

Didn't happen...North Iowa weather did. School was canceled before 6am. Blizzard warnings. It snowed and the winds kicked up to 40mph. So....good thing I had already planned to take the whole day off.

Bonus!! I had already planned to sleep in and now the whole day we are pretty much house bound.

Perfect opportunity to make a BIG pot of soup.

Minestrone, here we come.

We all love it. I get to clean out my frig using all the veggies I have and we get a hot, hearty, delicious soup.

@Salted Nuts
Minestrone Soup
 




Ingredients:
  • 1 large Onion-diced
  • 2-3 carrots-diced
  • 2 stalks celery-diced
  • 3 cloves garlic-minced
  • 1 yellow pepper-diced
  • 1 red pepper-diced
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 8 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
  • 1 can tomato puree(I used my own-I froze from last summer)
  • 2-3 small potatoes-diced
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 can green beans-drained
  • 1 can kidney(red or white) beans-rinsed and drained
  • 2 cups pasta
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • Parmesan cheese
Directions:
  1. In a large stock pot, heat to medium 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil, pour in all the vegetables and stir and saute for 8-10 minutes until softened.       
  2. Add the tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce and simmer for 25-30 minutes. 
  3. Add in basil and oregano, potatoes and beans and simmer another 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are almost tender. . S
  4. Taste and add salt & pepper to taste. 
  5.  Either cook pasta separately and set aside or simmer in soup (it makes for a much heartier soup and really thickens it-that's how my family likes it).
  6. Otherwise, serve a portion of cooked pasta in a soup bowl and ladle the soup over it. Serve with Parmesan cheese grated on top and a good hearty bread like sourdough or french bread. 

@Salted Nuts
 YUM!!!
It's even better the next day! 
Plus, use whatever you have in your frig or freezer or even canned. I would loved to have used kale, but I had used it all up. If you have zucchini or squash, add it. Sweet potatoes-perfect!
I used a whole grain noodle and you could use a gluten free rice noodle as well. 
Are you vegetarian? Sub vegetable broth, add wine.
This recipe is so versatile, no wonder it began as a peasant food for the poor in early Italy. It enabled homes there to make a hearty, satisfying soup that sated everyone, even with the most meager ingredients.  
Your family is getting all kinds of good fiber, filling and nutrient rich vegetables and using a whole grain pasta just amps up the fiber and vitamins. 
This is a go to soup in our home and of course you can add meat if you choose, but it's totally unnecessary because you're getting all kinds of goodness from the veggies and beans. I sometimes add 2 cans of different beans also, like kidney and chick pea. This is so versatile and good and can be frozen to heat up at another time. 
A real go-to meal.      

This recipe is shared on:

All My Bloggy Friends @ Love Bakes Good Cakes
Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays @ Blessed with Grace
Tasty Tuesday Party @ Naptime Creations
Totally Tasty Tuesdays @ Mandy’s Recipe Box
Two Cup Tuesday @ Pint Sized Baker
Cast Party Wednesday @ Lady Behind the Curtain
What I Whipped Up Wednesday @ Sugar and Dots
Wicked Good Wednesday @ I Love My Disorganized Life
Whats Cooking Wednesday @ Buns in My Oven

Sccop Link Party@Crafty Texas Girls

What's In Your Kitchen Wednesday
Lil Luna Link Party
Back For Seconds Social
http://adiamondinthestuff.blogspot.com/

Taste and Tell Thursdays@Taste and Tell 
Frugal Food Thursday @ Frugal Follies

Showcase Your Talent Thursday
Somewhat Simple
Thursday's Treasures
Made U Look

Miz Helen's Country Cottage@Full Plate Thursday
http://www.somewhatsimple.com/ (Link Party Thursday)
http://www.aglimpseinsideblog.com/ (Catch a Glimpse Party)
http://www.livelaughrowe.com/ (Live Laugh Linky)
http://www.becomingmartha.com/ (Keep Calm & Link Up)
http://www.raisingmightyarrows.blogspot.com (Pro 31 Thursdays)

Hooking Up at HoH



Mix it up Monday @ Flour Me with Love
Mealtime Monday @ Couponing and Cooking
Melt in Your Mouth Monday @ Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms
My Meatless Mondays @ My Sweet and Savory

 Busy Monday
Recipe Sharing Monday
Made By You Monday
I Gotta Try That...
Mop It Up Monday
Open Call Social
Pink Hippo Party