Sunday, April 14, 2013

Famous Cowboy Casserole

I absolutely love a fresh tomato pie, made during the summer when tomatoes from our garden are at their peak. 

*sigh* 

We may get another dusting of snow tomorrow. My oldest daughter says it's punishment for having so many "Gingers". 
I have 4 children and the oldest three are redheads. Not just red headed, but fiery red, red headed. 

Haha. It's made for an interesting parenthood, you get lots of comments with red heads. 

I hope having so many of them isn't the driving factor on our weather or my community may just ostracize me. gulp!

Seriously, I am still craving that tomato pie-but I found a great alternative surfing Pinterest and I decided to riff on that to satisfy my cravings. 

So I found a recipe that Mercedes of The Kitchen Life of a Navy Wife called her John Wayne Casserole, that I adapted this recipe from. 

So my riff on this recipe I decided to call.....

FAMOUS COWBOY CASSEROLE

And although the recipe isn't "famous" yet (hehe!!), the Cowboy it's named after most definitely is!  


The first layer is a whole grain baking mix-biscuit layer, then lean ground beef cooked with Taco seasoning (this dish can be made vegetarian by omitting the meat totally or subbing it with scrambled eggs, tofu or TVP). Next, fresh sliced tomatoes topped with sauteed onions, pepperoncini, and then the kicker---a cheesy-mayo-sour cream topping (Hello!!-Paula Deen fans!).  









Ingredients

1 1/4 pounds ground beef, cooked and drained
1 (1.25-ounce) packet taco seasoning
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 cups Cheddar cheese (I used a Pepper Jack-hence the "blond" color), shredded and divided
1 yellow onion, sliced
2 cups biscuit mix
2/3 cup milk
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tomatoes, sliced
1/4 cup sliced pepperoncini peppers

Directions

1. Heat oven to 350F. Brown ground beef and add taco seasoning and water, set aside.

2. In a separate bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, 1 cup cheese, and half of the onions; set aside.

3. Stir biscuit mix, milk and oil to form soft dough. Pat dough on the bottom and one-half-inch up the sides of an 9 x 11 in. greased casserole dish.

4. Saute remaining onions until slightly tender.

5. On top of biscuit mix, evenly distribute ingredients in the following order: ground beef, tomato slices, onions, pepperoncini, sour cream mixture and end with remaining shredded cheese.

6. Bake for 40 minutes or until edges of dough are lightly browned. Let cool 5 minutes to make serving easier.

This recipe is adapted from:John Wayne Casserole-The Kitchen Life of a Navy Wife.



Watch Out Martha



Enjoy!


This recipe is shared at:
 Busy Monday
Recipe Sharing Monday
Made By You Monday
Martha Monday's Link Party@Watch Out, Martha!
Mop It Up Monday
Open Call Social
Mix it up Monday @ Flour Me with Love
Mealtime Monday @ Couponing and Cooking
Melt in Your Mouth Monday @ Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms
My Meatless Mondays @ My Sweet and Savory
All My Bloggy Friends @ Love Bakes Good Cakes
Make The Scene Monday@Alderberry Hill
Trick or Treat Tuesday
Tasteful Tuesday
Tuesday Talent Show
 Memories by the Mile
Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays @ Blessed with Grace
Tasty Tuesday Party @ Naptime Creations
Totally Tasty Tuesdays @ Mandy’s Recipe Box
Two Cup Tuesday @ Pint Sized Baker
HTT Link Party@Housewife How To's
Homemade By You@Made To Be A Momma


24 comments:

  1. This sounds really good! I found you on Let's Get Social Sunday. I am a new follower. Would love for you to follow me back.

    http://www.stephwnekcookbookproject.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie!! I will be bouncing right over to follow you also!!
      Hugs-kari

      Delete
  2. Pinned! This is right up my alley for a weeknight meal. One dish. That's what I like.

    Consider yourself hugged,
    http://simpleesue.com/frivolous-friday-bacon-corn-pancakes/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pinned this! My kids would think the name is cool and I love how easy it is to make :)I'm now following via GFC. I would love to have you share this at our party - All My Bloggy Friends ---> http://www.lovebakesgoodcakes.com/2013/04/all-my-bloggy-friends-42.html ... Hope to see you there, Kari!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jamie! I'm a little in awe being a newbie and all. I most def will be following you as well.
    Hugs-Kari
    sourdoughnative.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Love the Veggie version.
    I'm visiting you today from Project Inspired. I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Enter my Blog Birthday Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great hearty meal! Thanks for sharing with Simple Supper Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your famous cowboy casserole looks so delicious! We would love to have you share this on our new sister site - MyRecipeMagic.com. It calculates nutritional value and weight watcher points, creates shopping lists and cookbooks. It will also drive traffic back to YOUR blog. We hope you'll stop by and submit some recipes! -The Six Sisters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you-I actually am already a member. You've just reminded me to share!
      Hugs-Kari

      Delete
  8. Oh this looks so good! I love a casserole that's easy and tasty! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Danni!! It sure is tasty.
      HugsKari
      sourdoughnative.blogspot.com

      Delete
  9. Thanks for sharing this great recipe at our ALL MY BLOGGY FRIENDS party, Kari! I shared this on Google+ today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a great recipe......Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy, I love visitng your blog!!
      Hugs-Kari

      Delete
  11. A hearty meal! Pinned. thanks so much for sharing on busy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a keeper. the leftovers, if there are any, are awesome as well.
      Thank you Charlene..
      Hugs-Kari

      Delete
  12. Congratulations! You've been featured on this week's Martha Mondays! :) Swing by to pick up a "Featured" button and do a little bragging! :)

    http://www.watchoutmartha.net/2013/04/martha-mondays-link-up-party-features_21.html

    Amanda
    www.watchoutmartha.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you Amanda!! Doing the happy dance!! I grabbed the button and ran!!
      Weeeeeeeee--Kari

      Delete
  13. The hubby would love this! Pinned this! Thanks for sharing these on Two Cup Tuesday at Pint Sized Baker I hope to see ya again on Monday night!

    ReplyDelete

I relish your comments....