Friday, April 5, 2013

Scalloped Ham, Potato and Broccoli

The sun is shining, I saw a robin yesterday, yay!

Spring is finally in North Iowa!!
We still have tiny patches of snow dotted here and there, but it finally is warming up during the day (low 50's) and things are just barely starting to green up.

DH has started moving the outdoor furniture back onto the decks and is going through seed packets, getting ready to plant starters. (Hah!, no so fast there bucko. We've had a surprise snowstorm during April and May before!)

And we're moving on to the Ham that is still in my frig.

Okay....here is Ham plate number 2.

I know one of the best ways to use leftover ham is in the classic Scalloped Ham and Potatoes.

But I have been ramping up our veggie intake lately and decided to also include a layer of Broccoli.

Broccoli by itself....bleh.
Layered with tender gold potatoes, ham and a creamy sauce with cheese....

Winner, winner!



what i am eating





Then make your sauce and start assembling in a shallow baking dish that has been coated with nonstick spray.
This is the first layer, continue with your ingredients and make another one. 

Bake covered, then uncover and broil and ta da!!


Ingredients:

2 1/2 lbs. potatoes ( I used little Gold potatoes that I par-boiled)
2 cups ham-chopped
2-3 cups broccoli-frozen, thawed-chopped
1/2 small onion-diced
2 tbsp butter 
2 tbsp flour
2 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a large, shallow baking dish with nonstick spray. 
  2. In a sauce pan, melt the butter and saute the onions for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the flour  and cook for 1-2 minutes. 
  3. Slowly pour in the milk and whisk to combine, stirring occasionally until thickened. Season with S&P and set aside.
  4. Layer half of the potatoes in the dish, followed by half the ham and then broccoli. Pour half the sauce evenly over the top and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the cheese. 
  5. Make another layer and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. 
  6. Cover with foil and bake. If you parboiled the potatoes, bake for about 30-40 minutes otherwise bake for 70-90 minutes. 
  7. Uncover and turn the broiler on, broil for 5-7 minutes or until browned and bubbly on top.

20 comments:

  1. Yum! This looks wonderful. Will have to try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks heartwarming, Kari. I'm glad that sunny spring weather has finally arrived in your area! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kari..I'm now following you on G+ I love this recipe and the use of the extra ham in the fridge, lol...that was a good one! Looks delicious and I'm sure it was a winner all the way!I Came over from the FFF's party! Lizy@http://justdipitinchocolate.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you don't mind . . . but I added you to "Blogs We Like" on our blog (http://threeheadedchef.blogspot.com/). Nice to finally find some good food online! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seriously flattered Tom, thank you! Tried to find you on G+ to follow....

      Delete
  5. Actually, I tried to add you, but I the URL to your blogspot keeps redirecting me to an advertisement page for ChefsCatalog.com. Weird. I haven't upgraded to Google+ yet . . . still a Baby Blogger. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too...a baby blogger.
      I'll have to remove that advertisement.
      If you scroll down the RH side of my site there is the Who, Me? or the Followers and the G+ button is located next to my name.
      Clicking that may actually walk you through setting up your G+ account. Which should be super easy since you already use blogger.
      I can help you if you'd like....

      Delete
  6. Yikes! Diving in. I think I successfully upgraded to G+ and followed your blog . . . all in one day. Wow. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now this I have to try! This looks delicious and your photos are brilliant. From your newest follower! Chel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm flattered and impressed. Thank you! Following you as well.

      Delete
  8. What a delicious way to use up the ham from Easter! Thank you for linking up with Foodie Friends Friday! I am sharing this on my Walking on Sunshine Facebook page tomorrow! Please come back on Sunday to VOTE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Cascia. I'll be sure and stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am further north then you but got a surprise snow storm today with another 5 inches or so of snow so far and no sight of robins or grass yet. I am thinking the garden will never get planted as we still have 3 feet of snow on the garden spot. But this recipe is delicious. I love scalloped potatoes and adding broccoli would make it better. Pinning it. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and I hope you join us again next week. Newest follower now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What??!! That's crazy, and thank you!! tis was a good one, I'll admit. I'm going over to follow you also. Stay warm my friend. the Robins are coming....
      ReplyDelete

      Delete
  11. What a delicious casserole and a great way to use up leftover ham. Thanks so much for sharing on Thursdays Treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christie! Love Thursday Treasures, so many good ideas!
      Hugs-kari
      sourdoughnative.blogspot.com

      Delete

I relish your comments....