This is a flavorful, full bodied, creamy soup. It is the perfect vehicle to support toppings of cheese, crisp tortillas, sour cream, avocados, salsa. You name it.
Not only is this soup great to Celebrate this time of year with, it's also a wonderful soup to serve anytime of the year.
You can use prepared Enchilada sauce, but in this recipe it is made right in the soup!!
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
4 corn tortillas, cut into 1" pieces
4 cups of chicken broth
1 28 oz can whole tomatoes
1 4 oz can diced green chiles
1 tbsp chile powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp ground coriander
3 tbsp flour
salt to taste
1 cup frozen corn
2 cups of cooked chicken ( or 2 cups of raw chicken, that is then poached in the soup)
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat the oil and saute the onions for 5 minutes.
- Next saute the corn tortillas for 2-3 minutes and then add in the garlic.
- Add in the chile powder, cumin, oregano and coriander, stir and then add in the broth and tomatoes, stirring to pick up any bits on the bottom.
- Simmer for 15 minutes and then sprinkle the flour over the surface and using an immersion or stick blender, blend the soup smooth.
- Add in the cooked chicken and corn and heat through. Or add in the raw chicken and cook for an additional 18-20 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked through.
- Garnish as desired with avocado, cheese, sour cream, cilantro,etc.