Today is all about Mothers, it's Mothers Day.
Happy Mother's Day!!
And, because I just really like bacon, especially crisp, peppered bacon, I am making a dip to serve to my Mother and family at dinner.
I should have foreseen the bacon craze that has taken the food world by storm. It's no secret that the smoky, crispy, meaty goodness that is bacon evokes a desire to just eat more of it, in almost everyone.
Except for my oldest daughter...
Any time I have served bacon as a breakfast side, she has abstained, since a very early age. Serve it on a burger or as a topping on potatoes or such and she'll eat it, reluctantly.
I know, it's almost sacrilege, especially in Pork driven Iowa!
I was Featured on Mealtime Monday!
Just to make it a little more decadent and flavorful, I slowly caramelized onions to almost a jam consistency, added the creamy and skinny factor with Greek yogurt and voila!
Serve with chips, vegetables or use it as a topping for a burger! It's what we did and I ate my burger and forgot to take a picture-oops!
1 large onion, peeled, halved and sliced in half rings
2 tsp oil
1 tbsp Butter
1/2 tsp Thyme,crushed
1 tbsp Agave syrup or brown sugar
1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt, plain (or use half sour cream and half Greek yogurt)
1/2 cup Bacon, cooked crisp and diced
1 tbsp White Balsamic, Sherry or Cider Vinegar
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- In a saute pan over medium low heat, melt butter and oil, add in onions and Agave syrup. stir to coat.
- Sprinkle with Thyme and cover. Cook, stirring every 10 minutes, for about 45 minutes or until sot and golden and very tender. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the yogurt (and sour cream, if using), and all the seasonings.
- Once onions are cool, add them, bacon and vinegar to yogurt mixture and fold to combine. Taste and adjust Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
**As a BzzAgent I received @FAGEUSA greek yogurt for free, #GotItFree, and the opnions expressed are my own.
This recipe is shared with my Link Parties