Monday, June 3, 2013

Rhubarb Berry Compote

The other day I was telling my hubby how disappointed I was that with the large yard we have there is not one rhubarb plant anywhere. 

You can see rhubarb growing all over in our neighbors yards, in fact one of our neighbors mows his down to nothing every season. *sigh*

Low  and behold, on this last Friday my hubs walked in the door after work toting this ginormous bag of RHUBARB.

I mean we're talking 20 lbs. at least. (so be careful what you wish for...)

Well shucks, not only do I have enough to bake with, I can freeze it, I guess, and I made this jewel...
Compote is just another word for "stewed fruit", combining the tart rhubarb with juicy berries gives this sauce oomph and sweetness. I plan on using this as a topping for ice cream, yogurt parfaits, and as a layer in cakes and cupcakes.
Oh I can't wait...

Waffle cups-YUM!!

Ingredients:
8-10 cups diced fresh Rhubarb, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen mixed Berries
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tbsp Vanilla extract
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt

Directions:
  1. In a large stock pot, place all the ingredients and bring to a slow boil. 
  2. Boil, slightly covered, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until rhubarb has softened and the mixture is slightly syrupy. 
  3. Cool and store in jars or containers in the frig or may be frozen.
Enjoy!
This recipe is shared on My Link Parties

No comments:

Post a Comment

I relish your comments....