It's finally here......
We have scorching heat, a bazillion mosquito's and high humidity.
And guess what, we're not even complaining.
Well ...maybe just a teeny bit about the bazillion mosquito's.
That means grilling season is off to a swinging start!!
To accompany our grilled entrees it's always nice to have a cooling salad. They can be whipped up beforehand and store beautifully in the frig
This Couscous salad is one of our favorites. Using fresh tomatoes, herbs, cucumbers and a bright vinaigrette, it just sings "SUMMER".
I like to amp it up with cooked beans as well and this time I used Chick peas or Garbanzos, but feel free to sub your favorite. Beans add fiber, vitamins and inspire all kinds of added health benefits, or sadly, you could omit them...
But they're so good!!!
1 cup coucous
1 1/2 cups chicken broth or water
1 cup diced Cucumber
1 cup cored, diced tomato
1 cup chick peas, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup diced Green onion or Chives
1 tbsp fresh Parsley, chopped
1/4 cup EVOO
1/4 cup White or red wine vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, minced or microplaned
1 tsp S & P
- Bring the Chicken broth or water to a boil and add in couscous. Simmer for 5 minutes. Then cover and set aside for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile prepare and dice the tomato, cucumber, onion, and chick peas and place in a large bowl.
- In a separate container whisk together the oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic and S & P.
- Combine the slightly cooled couscous with the veggies and pour the dressing over all.
- Sprinkle with the Parsley and mix to combine.
- Chill for 2 hours or more and store in a covered container in the frig for 4-5 days.
- Taste again after chilling to adjust seasonings!
This recipe is shared on My Link Parties