Yesterday it was in the 50’s and today they are forecasting snow and when you walk outside it is COLD!!
We’re talking mittens and hat cold here folks. Yep! That must be why people in this area of the US live so long.
You can’t be a sissy and live in this environment. They grow hardy folk up here.
Thank goodness for down coats and fleece. Whoever created fleece, I’d like to shake your hand. We have fleece gloves, hats, sweaters, vests, blankets, pants, socks and even scarves. What in the world would we do without fleece??
Ahem! Getting away from the weather, lets give a big shout out to our neighbors up in Minnesota and thank them for perpetrating the American Indian harvest of Wild Rice.
We can also than them for contributing the “Chicken and Wild Rice” soup craze to all of us, and with that I give you my version.
It’s delicious, it’s thick and creamy and chock full of tender chicken and wild rice. And, because I don’t use the copious amounts of Heavy Cream most recipes call for, it in no way affects how thick and creamy this recipe is. I actually think my version is healthier and that means you can have TWO helpings!!
6 tbsp butter
1 small onion, diced
1-cup celery, diced
1-cup mushrooms, diced
1-cup carrot, diced (I know-I didn't have any in the pictures-I ran out)
½ tsp Curry powder
½ tsp Curry powder
½ cup flour
½ cup Sherry, Marsala or white wine
4 cups chicken broth
4 cups water
2 chicken breasts, chopped into 1” pieces
½ cup cracked Wild rice (it’s cooks in 25 minutes!)
1 box Long Grain & Wild Rice mix
½ cup half and half or milk
Pepper to taste
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add in onion, celery, carrot and mushroom and sauté until softened, about 7-8 minutes.
- Sprinkle in Curry and flour and stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- De glaze pan with the Sherry and then add in broth and water. Bring to a simmer and add in chicken to poach.
- Add in rice’s and seasoning mix and stir to combine. Lower heat to a simmer and cover. Cook another 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice and chicken are cooked and tender.
- Taste and season with pepper. Add in half and half.
This recipe is shared on My Link Parties