Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Midwest Chow Mein

I posted the original recipe for this over a year ago.....




It is such a hit with my family, that it is requested year round. 

Added bonus for me, it not only cooks in one pot, is chock full of veggies and

wait for it......

It takes less than 20 minutes to make!!!

Seriously!




Say What???

I know, the title is a little twisted. but, it's the closest thing to how I made a standard American-Chinese dish more mainstream Midwest. Up here in Northern Iowa, there aren't many Oriental restaurants to choose from and in the town where I live, pop., 2200, there are zip, zero, zilch. 

So when I get a craving for Asian American-Chinese food, fast, I have to adapt. Which is what I did when I came up with this dish. It can be made in a snap and will satisfy even the most picky person. All of my kids gobble it up whenever I make it. 
The beauty of this recipe is that it can be made with any variety of ground meat or TVP, even tofu, and the vegetables can be whatever you have in the freezer or canned ( I mean, come on...who doesn't eat corn). 

And, big bonus, IF.....operative word here, if there happen to be any leftovers, they are delicious cold as a salad. 




Midwest Chow Mein Recipe

1 lb. ground meat (any lean variety, I mostly use chicken)
3 pkg. Oriental Ramen (any flavor-whatever you have on hand)-broken up and seasoning packets set aside.
3 cups of water
1 12-16 oz. pkg. of frozen Oriental vegetables or what ever you prefer
1 tbsp-freshly grated Ginger (opt.)
1 tbsp Sesame Oil
2 tbsp Reduced Sodium Soy or Tamari Sauce
Black Pepper to taste


In a large dutch oven or 6 qt. pot, thoroughly brown and crumble meat, sprinkling with one of the seasoning packets from the Ramen and adding the ginger if using. Pour in 3 cups of water and add the broken Ramen and the frozen vegetables. Cover and reduce heat to simmer and steam Ramen and vegetables, stirring occasionally. When noodles are tender and vegetables crisp tender, sprinkle with 1 or both of the remaining seasoning packets, Sesame Oil and Soy Sauce, add black pepper, stir to combine. Enjoy! This is also delicious over steamed white or brown rice. 

And in the event you have any leftover, I serve it cold the next day.



 Enjoy!! 
This recipe is shared on My Link Parties


No comments:

Post a Comment

I relish your comments....