This dish is without a doubt, a winner in the comfort food category.
It is a easy weeknight dish and is tasty enough for company as well.
The "Greek" in this dish is the creamy Bechamel (White) sauce that is poured all over the top. It is a nod to the Greek dish, Pastitsio.
Not only does it help to bring all the flavors together, it gives it a creamy unctuousness!
1.25 lb ground beef
1 small onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
salt & pepper to taste
1.5 cups Marinara sauce
8 oz. egg or other small noodles, cooked al dente and drained
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
2 cups milk
pinch of nutmeg
- Brown the beef, crumbling finely, in a sauté pan. Add in onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in Marinara sauce, season with S & P and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta to al dente, drain and set aside.
- Spray a large, deep casserole dish with non-stick spray and pour the meat sauce in the bottom to cover.
- Scatter the noodles to cover over the meat, and then sprinkle the cheeses over all.
- In a small sauce pan melt the butter and whisk in the flour, cooking for 2-3 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk, nutmeg and cook until thickened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Pour over the top of the casserole, covering as much as you can.
- Bake, uncovered, in a pre-heated 375F oven, for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly and the top is slightly browned.
- Let cool slightly, before serving.