Thursday, February 20, 2014

Tender Blueberry and Lemon Muffins



My family will be the first to tell you that they don't consider me a "baker".

A chef, yes certainly, a baker, no, non, no way....

Sigh*

I keep trying to convince them that I may be able to hold my own in the baking world though and every once in a great while I make something  that actually makes them give it a thumbs up.


These Blueberry and Lemon Muffins did just that!! And yes I was still able to "riff" a baking recipe and it still turned out, rather well. :)

The secret is.....Greek Yogurt. 

Yep-thick, rich, creamy and tangy. It makes the muffins tender and gives them a nice "crumb". (See-I speak Baker.....)

 

That brown speckled look is from the Organic sweetener I used. If you haven't tried it yet, I would say you really should. 

It's called Sucanat, it's so good, and not too sweet. It's naturally made from dehydrated cane juice and it's made for baking.

 




Ingredients:

Ingredients

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sugar or Sucanat
2 eggs
1/2 cup light olive oil or sunflower oil
1 cup Greek yogurt
2 tbsp buttermilk-I used half and half
1 1/4 cup fresh or frozen Blueberries
grated rind of one Lemon

sugar or Sucanat to sprinkle

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
  2. Sift first 3 ingredients into a large bowl, and then stir in sugar.
  3. Place the blueberries with the grated lemon peel in a small bowl (toss with a tiny bit of flour, which will keep them from settling to the bottom of the pans) and set aside.
  4. In a bowl, combine the eggs, oil, yogurt and milk and whisk to combine.
  5. Stir the yogurt mixture into the dry ingredients, just until barely combined (do not mix until the flour is completely absorbed).
  6. Add the blueberry mixture and continue to fold until just combined.
  7. Do not over stir muffins or they will not be tender in texture.
  8. Place the mixture into greased muffin cups and then sprinkle with sugar. 
  9. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until muffins and golden brown and a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the center. Serve slightly cooled.
This recipe is adapted from Christina's Cucina





Enjoy!! 
This recipe is shared on My Link Parties



No comments:

Post a Comment

I relish your comments....