Sunday, March 30, 2014

Turkey Swedish Meatballs





Whenever my family heads up to Minneapolis, I always try and make a stop at one of my favorites, Ikea.
It's a huge store, three stories I think and I love wandering through all the different vignettes or rooms they have set up with all their products as if you are in an actual home. You want to purchase all the items shown just to try and copy it, it's cool really. 
They have an enormous cafeteria also, that is famous for serving meals so inexpensive you'll do a double take, seriously. Their most famous entree is the Swedish Meatball dinner obviously. You actually buy the meal based upon how many meatballs you'd like. (it's super cheap!)
We love them, and I prefer to make my own at home with a lean ground turkey or chicken. 
The simple white sauce, covering buttery noodles combined with the flavorful meatballs just oozes comfort. Comfort 101.



So whenever I am missing the big city north of us and I'm wanting some easy comfort food I make these sweet little meatballs. These were served with a side of grilled zucchini and crimini mushrooms. I must have been channeling Spring. 



Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey
1 egg
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
1 tsp salt and pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp minced parsley, fresh or dried
1-2 tbsp milk-May not need at all

2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
Salt & pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Directions:
  1. Preheat a large skillet to medium and drizzle in 1 tbsp vegetable oil.
  2. Mix and shape meatballs to the size of a Ping pong balls.
  3. Place in skillet and brown on all sides, about 8-10 minutes total. Remove to a plate. 
  4. Add in 2 tbsp butter to skillet, melt and whisk in 2 tbsp flour and cook for 2-3 minutes.
  5. Add in 1 1/2 cups chicken broth and whisk to combine, heating until thickened. Salt and pepper to taste and add in 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg. 
  6. Add meatballs back into sauce and stir to coat, reduce heat to low, cover and continue to cook for another 10 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through and sauce is thickened and reduced. 
  7. Serve over buttered egg noodles.

Enjoy!!  
This recipe is shared on My Link Parties


Also shared on Weekend Potluck 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I relish your comments....