Thursday, January 17, 2013

Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili

Brrrr...baby it's cold out there!

Ambient temperature this morning was -5F. And how was your weather?

My slow cooker is getting its annual winter work-out. And for us, that's a really good thing. One of my family's favorite is White Bean Chicken Chili. I pre-cook the Great Northern beans in a pressure cooker and then just throw everything together in my slow cooker. I actually made this earlier this week on my lunch, including cooking the beans in the pressure cooker!!

We all come home to a house that smells delicious and know we are in for a hearty, warming dinner. I don't even make a salad, this soup is that filling. Plus it's good for you.
It's full of nutritious beans, carrots, lean chicken and seasonings, that's it.

If you like a spicier flavor you can amp up the chili or do what I do and throw in a whole Jalapeno chile!

I put the chicken in frozen and just "dump everything in on top, put on the lid and away we go!! Prior to serving I take out the chicken and shred it (it falls apart easily) and put it back in. Then I thicken the soup by mixing the half and half with some flour and letting it cook another 15 minutes more. Enjoy!!


Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili

Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, tenderloins or thighs-frozen or thawed
3 cups cooked Great Northern beans. I cook them in a pressure cooker for 25 minutes and drain or use 3 cans beans that are drained.
1 4 oz can diced green chili
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic smashed and minced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
4-5 cups of chicken broth or vegetable broth
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1 fresh or frozen jalapeno pepper

Place chicken and the rest of the ingredients in the slow cooker, cook on high 5-6 hours or on low for 8-9 hours. Pull out chicken and shred and put back into slow cooker. 
Then combine half and half and flour by whisking:

1/2 cup half and half
2 tbsp flour
add:
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese or your favorite cheese

Pour slurry and cheese into slow cooker and stir, cover and cook another 15 minutes until dish is thickened. Now is when you would taste and season with salt and pepper if needed, otherwise adding salt earlier may make the beans tough instead of nice and soft.
Serve into bowls with dollop of sour cream and sliced avocado if you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I relish your comments....