Thursday, March 7, 2013

Red Velvet Almond Poke Cake

I'm not a girl that favors desserts.

Give me butter and a nice crusty piece of bread and I'm a happy girl.

But.....every once in a while the sweet tooth in my food cravings manifests itself and I'll whip up something good. Like for my Mom's birthday. For dessert I made Lemon Souffles with Raspberry Coulis. I know, I should have taken a picture.

Last night though, sweetness ruled. I caved and made this delicious riff on the basic Poke Cake.

Who doesn't instantly perk up when they hear the words Red Velvet......?

Combined with Almond and Poke Cake, you can bet it's a winner and SO EASY!!!

BEHOLD..........


Ingredients:
1 Box Red Velvet Cake Mix, prepared per directions and baked in a 9x13 pan. 
1 small box Instant Vanilla or cheesecake Pudding
1 tsp Almond Extract
1 Container Frozen Whipped Topping, Thawed

Directions:
  1. Prepare cake as directed in a 9 x 13 pan.
  2. Prepare the pudding with 2 cups of milk and the Almond extract. 
  3. Poke holes in the warm cake with a chopstick or wooden spoon handle.
  4. Pour the pudding over before it sets and spread so it is absorbed in the holes. 
  5. Once the cake is cool, frost with the thawed whipped topping and refrigerate for 2 hours to overnight. 
***This is a riff on many other versions of Poke cakes. The Almond extract really sends it over the top! You could sprinkle sliced almonds over each piece just before serving.

Shared on:
Taste and Tell@Taste and Tell Thursdays
Frugal Food Thursday @ Frugal Follies
Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helens Country Cottage Foodie Friends Friday

Tickled Pink #156@504 Main





2 comments:

  1. Good Morning Kari,
    Thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a lovely week and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

I relish your comments....